It’s no wonder the weather has changed!

I’ve been little Miss Homemaker on my time off … up early this morning (although still in my PJ’s now at lunchtime haha) I yanked the shower curtain off the rail and chopped about 3″ off the bottom, then turned up and stitched a new hem on the machine.  Our shower curtain has needed a trim since we moved in in January, but 6 months later it is finally done.  That means once Lisa and I have had our showers today it can go in the washing machine, and for once we won’t be tripping up on it in the bottom of the bath!

After finishing the shower curtain, I was all set to put a beef and red wine casserole mix into the slow cooker, but alas the meat still hasn’t defrosted yet, so a change in dinner plans tonight, I guess.  What I did manage to get done, though, is my first ever flanged pillow – I think it’s WAY too over-stuffed, but I guess I’ll know better next time.  All the same, I still think it turned out cute.  If you’re interested in knowing what the design is, you’ll have to look back through previous posts – for obvious reasons I’m not re-posting that information now.  I think I’ll have to re-do the girls’ hair ribbons, though, as they got a bit mutilated while I was turning the pillow inside-out.

Can Can Pillow 1

Can Can Pillow 2

I also managed to take some clearer shots of the Block Roll, including one of it opened up – half a dozen projects are now comfortably residing in the rolls, ready to have some more playmates once my needles get back into action again.  (I’ll go back and replace the photos in the previous post as well.)

Block Roll 2

Block Roll 4

Block Roll 5

Updated to add:  Thanks for the question, Joanne – the centre of the roll is a pool noodle cut into an 18″ length.  I think I might make another longer one so that it’ll cater for my Mirabilia finishes (once I have done!).  The white fabric is actually felt, which grips like glue onto whatever you place on it … not entirely sure how much I like that, but at least they won’t slip and slide while rolling it up!  Each pool noodle will give you enough length for 3 block rolls, so it’s likely you’ll see another one or two popping up on the blog at some stage … especially as the noodles came in a pack of 3 as well! 😀

As for ‘what now?’ … I’m not entirely sure what I feel like doing – I know I have a whole bunch of ornies to be finish-finished, but I think I may have a break from finishing today and do a tiny bit of stitching on my Sunflower Sampler – hmmmm, perhaps I should have my shower and get dressed then decide … I really do need to get those ornies finished … hmmm …

Sunflowers are AWOL

So much for spending my day off today stitching my little heart out … I managed to stitch for just over an hour when I first woke up and almost finished the ‘wording’ band of the Sunflower Sampler – but I haven’t bothered taking a photo of it.  I did, however, have a relatively productive day in other ways.

My day was made special by having an electrician finally turn up after a month of having no kitchen light – we’ve been surviving by using a bedside lamp on the kitchen bench, and swinging my Ott-Lite into the kitchen doorway for an extra special bit of a light.  Now, however, we have a beautiful white glowing bulb that seems bright enough to light up the entire neighbourhood.  That also means that I’ve been able to use the sewing machine after 5pm, as it’s getting dark by then (the dining table is in the kitchen, and that’s the only place available to set up the machine).

Anyway, today (after a trip to Spotlight to pick up some felt) I finally managed to put together a Block Roll – I’ve been wanting to make one of these for what seems like forever, and after receiving one from Katrina as a gift I’ve been in dire need of a larger one … poor Katrina’s one is almost bursting at the seams from all the stitching I have crowded inside it – so now I can split out my ornies etc from the larger pieces. It’s literally taken me all day to make this – partly ‘cos I kept having to find all the supplies, and partly because I’ve hardly touched my sewing machine since buying it last year, and I’m still not comfortable with using it. I’m pretty pleased with the overall result, though – I didn’t take a photo of the whole roll unravelled, but it’s really quite long (about 35″ in length).

The pattern is called “Block Roll” from That Raggedy One (by Kate Hampson, Australia).  Unfortunately taking the photo at night means the colours/photos aren’t fantastic …

Block Roll 2

Block Roll 1

Block Roll 3

Stitchers Roll 4

I remembered after finishing the stitching that I’d actually bought that butterfly fabric to make some summer pyjama pants … oops, I guess that won’t be happening now! 😉

I was originally going to finish my ‘infamous’ piece of stitching from a couple of weeks back into a pillow today, and got my fabric all ironed and ready, but ran out of time … instead, I took a photo of the fabric along with the other items of stash I bought from Berrima when Mum was over visiting last month.  I was thrilled to find the quilt hangers, and even though I didn’t need it, I just couldn’t resist that little duckie tape measure!

Berrima Stash Jun08

And ‘just for the sake of it’ I took a photo of my fabric stash … quite pitiful compared to many people’s, I’m sure, and it never seems to hold that ‘exact’ shade of fabric that I need, and invariably a trip to Spotlight is needed … (which of course always has a truly pitiful selection of fabrics anyway)

Fabric stash

Anyway, it’s time to go clean up the kitchen table from all the fabric scraps before Lisa comes home in the morning (not that she’ll really care!) and then hit the hay for the night – seeing as I only have two whole words left to stitch on the Sunflower Sampler, I may make that my mission before I curl up in bed, and given my electric blanket time to take the chill off of the sheets 🙂