This post is a summary of my progress over the year, along with how I went with my 2019 goals. Because of personal circumstances (major project at work meaning extra-long working hours, and Dad’s hospitalisation and then passing away meaning 3 1/2 months of carers/compassionate leave), my goals were far from met this year, but as long as I managed to get some craft time in during the year I still think of it as positive progress.
WIP start/finish stats (includes stitching, crochet, quilting):
54 = Number of WIPs/UFOs @ 1 January 2019 (yikes!)
– 6 = Number of WIPs/UFOs completed in 2019
+ 7 = Number of new WIPs added in 2019 (ie started in 2019 but not finished)
55 = WIPs/UFOs balance (oops – not my finest hour!)
The 6 WIPs I managed to finish in 2019 were:
- Glendon Place: City Sidewalks ornament (cross stitch)
- Elizabeth’s Designs: Ladybug (cross stitch)
- Nora Corbett: Mirabilia Retreat dragonfly (cross stitch)
- Marg Low: Hearts & Berries (embroidery and patchwork)
- Michelle Marvig: Travel Cord Buddy (patchwork)
- Simple ribbed beanie (crochet) (I can’t find the finished photo)
New starts in 2019:
Started and finished:
- Blue Ribbon Designs: Two Stags and a Star ornament (JCS ornie SAL)
- The Sweetheart Tree: Sweet Valentine
- Dimensions: Stacked Tea Cups
- Keslyn’s: Santa Hat & Boots ornament (JCS ornie SAL)
- Laura J Perin: Flying Geese canvaswork
- Knotted Tree NeedleArt: To All a Good Night ornament (JCS ornie SAL)
- Cherished Stitches: Christmas memories (JCS ornie SAL)
- Misty Hill Studio: Left Behind (JCS ornie SAL)
- Elsa in a heart (charity quilt block)
- Elsa with snowflakes (charity quilt block)
- Crate Crochet: Spontaneous Shawl
- Crate Crochet: Sweet Pea Mandala
- Crate Crochet: Whimsy scarf
- Dragon Dreams: What now? (JCS ornie SAL)
- Elizabeth’s Designs: Under the Sea
- Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery: Christmas morning goodies (JCS ornie SAL)
- JBW Designs: Noel 2018 (JCS ornie SAL)
- Leisure Arts, Big Book of Dishcloths: #32 dishcloth
- Leisure Arts, Big Book of Dischcloths: #70 dishcloth
- Rosewood Manor: The Heart of Christmas (JCS ornie SAL)
New starts that are still WIPs:
Out of all of the new starts I had in 2019, six remain as WIPs at the end of the year:
- Maria’s Blue Crayons: Coastal Indoor Rug
- Hooked on Sunshine: Phoenix blanket
- Laura J Perin: Lahaina Breezes
- Crate Crochet: Hook Roll
- Crate Crochet: Ripple Tote
- Drawn Thread: Almost Halloween
- Ronald McDonald house charity piece (just needs personalisation to be added at the bottom)
Other progress on WIPs:
While I didn’t manage to get these projects finished this year, I did manage a bit of progress – not sure they’ll be finished in 2020 either, but I’ll eventually keep chipping away at them slowly but surely.
2019 Goals – Review
Cross stitch and embroidery
Cross stitch WIPs:
- X FAIL Quaker Diamonds by Rosewood Manor – I’d love to finish this one – Update: I didn’t finish this one, although I did make a tiny bit of progress.
- X FAIL Egyptian Garden Mandala by Chatelaine – Entirely finish the stitching of at least one full corner (ie one full page of the chart) – This was a major fail because I decided to scrap it and start all over again on different fabric.
- X FAIL Red Lace Sewing Case by The Drawn Thread – add the felt/beads and do the finishing … and finally gift it to the intended recipient. Update: not touched.
- √ DONE Three Kings by Mill Hill/Jim Shore – finish the three kings in the centre
- √ DONE Quaker Christmas II by ByGone Stitches – finish the Let There be Peace on Earth motif in the centre
- X FAIL Progress on at least three other WIPs/UFOs
- X IN PROGRESS Ronald McDonald House charity XS – managed to stitch everything except for the personalisation for the retreat house. Now I’ve heard back from the NZ Head Office, I’ll complete this in January 2020.
- X FAIL 19 in 19 – Start a new HAED and stitch 19 colours on it – didn’t start one
- X FAIL 19 in 19 – 19 new starts. Update: I managed 18!
- X FAIL 19 in 19 – 19 finishes. Update: I managed 18!
- X FAIL 19 in 19 – some progress on 19 existing WIPs carried over from 2019. Update: I managed 4
- √ DONE Stitch a charity quilt block
- √ DONE Stitch 12 Christmas ornaments
Other needlework WIPs:
- √ DONE Travel Cord Buddy by Michelle Marvig – I’d like to finish putting this together
- √ DONE Hearts & Berries by Marg Low – I’d like to finish putting this together
- X FAIL Make a Christmas Wish by Marg Low – I’d like to finish putting this together and framed before Christmas
- X FAIL Stumpwork – choose one old stumpwork UFO and make some progress
- X FAIL Start a new project from Inspirations magazines
- X FAIL Make some progress on one of the 2018 patchwork retreat projects
- X FAIL Make a 1920s-style hat for the Napier Art Deco Festival
- √ DONE Complete three crochet projects from “Crate Crochet”
- √ DONE Start a shawl
- X FAIL Finish my Atlanticus (mandala) blanket
- X FAIL Restart my Spice of Life blanket
- X FAIL Start a Briar Rose blanket
- X FAIL Start a top (clothing)
- √ DONE Start a crochet hook case
- X FAIL Start a blanket for Brenda & Nigel
- X FAIL Make a charity blanket for SPCA
- X FAIL Start the Nuts About Squares CAL
- X FAIL Make a small pincushion
- X FAIL Start a queen-sized bed patchwork quilt for myself
- X FAIL Start the Piece and Plenty BOM quilt
- X FAIL Make a sewing machine cover
- X FAIL Make a summer nightie
- X FAIL Make a top (clothing)
- X FAIL Choose three Pinterest projects to try (eg Project bags, Purses/pouches)
I think the two SALs that I did do only lasted 2-3 months for me – my intentions were good, but life just got in the way this year. Hopefully 2019 will be the year where I do much better!
- √ DONE JCS Christmas Ornie Facebook SAL – yay, completed all 12 ornies, which is a record for me, I think!
- X IN PROGRESS WIPocalypse – I managed to post some months, but not all.
- X FAIL Hallowe’en ornie SAL
- X FAIL Gifted Gorgeousness
- X FAIL Stitch from Stash on Facebook
- X FAIL JK’s Groupies (AU/NZ) on Facebook – “19 in 19” (my choices are 19 new starts, 19 finishes, and use 19 colours in a project)
- X FAIL JK’s Groupies (AU/NZ) on Facebook – monthly challenges
2 thoughts on “2019 WIPocalypse year in review”
you did a wonderful job of getting things finished, far more than me – I lost my mojo when I had to pack up my stuff and move across country (California to KY/MI) and unpack. Wish I would have been half as productive as you were. Can’t wait to see your progress in 2020
I was thinking that the JCS Ornie SAL was looking good for you! Great achievement there.
Lots of progress on your larger projects too.
Comments are closed.