I’m still continuing to do well with my rotation – this time with my UFO slot. I’ve had this piece started since the 2011 Crazy January Challenge, but it stalled when I didn’t have the required beads so I’d have to rummage through my stash for alternatives, and also because the next band is one of the two drawn thread bands and it intimidated me to no end!!! Seeing as I chose this one as my first project for the UFO slot in my rotation I just decided to suck it up and give it a go … and I did!
Since I had recently bought the right beads that I needed, I did those first, as well as doing the eyelet stitches in Kreinik #8 braid, before I tackled the withdrawn threads. I can’t truthfully say it was pleasurable at all, really, but at least one of the two bands is now over and done with! It wasn’t so bad to do, except for the fact that the linen thread I was withdrawing kept fraying and breaking off – I think it’s just a really poor quality linen that I’ve had sitting around for ages and perhaps it’s deteriorated over the years, I don’t know … but I was quite shocked at the quality (or lack of it!). Thankfully I opted not to follow Thea’s instructions, and opted to withdraw the thread from the opposite side of the row to give me more thread in my needle, as otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to thread the needle with a long enough thread if I’d done as I was told and cut my threads in the centre of each row!
Anyway, it’s done now, and I only have one more drawn thread band to do in the bottom half of the sampler. It’s a slow and tedious process, made slower by the disintegrating threads, but at least it means I have now tried it and know I can do it … and hopefully the next time I have to do it I won’t let it turn my project into a UFO for quite so long!!!
First step after re-weaving the linen threads into the sides of the fabric
Number one drawn thread band completed with two sets of herringbone stitch
I still have another 6 1/2 hours left to go with this slot, so hopefully I will get another couple of bands completed in that time before I move back to my Focus Piece slot.
Sorry for the crappy photos – since my little Lumix camera died, I’ve been using my iPhone for almost all of my photos, and it’s clearly crappy for photographing stitching!!!